The Center supports an undergraduate program honoring Professor Richard Leopold, a long-time member of the NU Department of History. The Leopold Fellowship program is open to all NU undergraduates, no matter their major or school. It provides a small group of able Northwestern undergraduate students with an opportunity to engage in genuine historical research. The fellowship entails an hourly wage and possible travel expenses, but no academic credit. Leopold Fellows work on current faculty research projects, learning how to interpret complex archival and documentary materials.
2018-2019 Leopold Fellows
- Dominic BAYER (WCAS rising junior) working with Professor Ajay MEHROTRA on “The VAT Laggard: A Comparative History of U.S. Resistance to the Value-added Tax” (summer 2018, F/W/S)
- *Daniel FERNANDEZ continuing work with prof. Michael SHERRY on “Go Directly to Jail: The Punitive Turn in American Life” (F/W/S)
- *Ailyn GONZALEZ (rising senior, WCAS) working with Professor Susan PEARSON on “Registering Birth: Populations and Personhood in the United States of America” (summer 2018, W/S 2018)
- Amanda GORDON (rising junior, Medill) working with Professor Deborah COHEN on “American Journalists, Europe and Asia” (W/S 2019)
- Peyton GREENBERG (rising senior, Communication) working with Professor Henry BINFORD on “Small Business in Poor Urban Communities” (Fall 2018, Spring 2019)
- Nathan JI (rising junior, WCAS) working with Professor Ajay MEHROTRA (summer 2018, F/W/S)
- David MORALES (rising junior, WCAS) working with Professor Paul GILLINGHAM on “Spies & Censorship in Mexico: The Mexican Intelligence Digital Archives (MIDAS) Project” (summer 2018, F/W/S)
- Lien (Sam) H. NGUYEN (rising sophomore, WCAS) working with Professor Haydon CHERRY on “Đào Duy Anh: Vietnamese Journalist” (F/W/S)
- Claire PAK (rising junior, WCAS) working with Professor Caitlin FITZ in summer 2018 on “Emiliano Mundrucu’s America: How a Black Brazilian Revolutionary Shaped the Early U.S. Battle against Jim Crow” and with Professor Deborah COHEN on “American Journalists, Europe and Asia” (Fall 2018)
- Joseph RATHKE (rising sophomore, Music) working with Carl SMITH on “The Great Chicago Fire” (summer 2018, F/W/S)
- Mychala SCHULZ (rising junior, WCAS) working with Henry BINFORD (F/W/S) on “Small Business in Poor Urban Communities” (F/W/S)
- Ellery STRITZINGER (rising senior, WCAS) working with Professor Lauren STOKES (summer 2018, Fall 2018, possibly winter 2019)
- *Aidan ZILIAK (rising SENIOR, WCAS) continuing work with Professor Lauren STOKES on “Bisexual History” (F/W/S)
- Jared ZVONAR (rising junior, SESP) working with Professor Scott SOWERBY on “States of Exclusion: Religious Diversity and Military Power in Early Modern Europe” (F/W/S).
*An asterisk denotes a returning Leopold Fellow.
2017-2018 Leopold Fellows (16)
*An asterisk denotes a returning Leopold Fellow*