2012-2013 Global Exchanges
2012-2013 workshop--April 16-17, 2013 in Istanbul, Turkey
in collaboration with Bogazici University, Istanbul on "Modernization and Social Change"
- Juri BOTTURA—Revisiting Brazil’s “Conservative Modernization:" Reformist Ruralism and the Fate of the Brazilian Countryside
- Mneesha GELLMAN (Political Science)—The Politics of Multiculturalism in Turkey: An Evolution of Rights
- Alex HOBSON—Confronting the Failures of “Modernization:” Two International Conferences and the Invention of Reagan’s War Against Terrorism, 1979-1986
- Jamie HOLEMAN—Photography on Trial: Modern Technology and Social Change in 1850s-60s France
- Sam KLING—Making a Modern City to Order: The Failure of Physical Planning and the Rise of Welfare Capitalism in Gary, 1906-1919
- Nicholas SMITH—The modern history of the Somali pirates: piracy and colonialism in the Red Sea and Gulf of Aden.
Faculty participants: Sarah Maza, Joel Mokyr, Ken Alder, and Elzbieta Foeller-Pituch.Back to top